Assessment and Assessment Appeals

Assessment and Assessment Appeals


The Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) is responsible for assessing all property in Ontario. Municipalities use this assessment in the calculation of property taxes (Current Value Assessment CVA x total tax rate). The assessment is calculated by factoring in property values, recent property sales and other pertinent information to establish a ``market value`` for each property. Property owners will receive a notice from MPAC advising them of the assessed value of the property. The notice will also include information on how to question that value or appeal for a change.  

2012 Assessment Update

In the fall of 2012 all property owners in Ontario will receive a Property Assessment Notice with the updated assessed value of their property as of January 1, 2012.

Four Year Assessment Cycle

All property in Ontario is assessed once every four years by MPAC. Each property is assessed based on what a willing buyer would pay a willing seller for the property on a legislated valuation date.

Phase-in Program

To help provide an additional level of property tax stability and predictability, the Ontario Government has introduced a phase-in program where market increases in assessed value between January 1, 2008 and January 1, 2012 will be phased in over four years (2013-2016). The full benefit of a decrease is applied immediately.

If you have any questions regarding your assessment please contact MPAC at 1-866-296-6722 or refer to their web site

Assessment Appeals

There are a number of ways for taxpayers to appeal their property assessment:

Form 357/358 – This form is used to request tax reduction, refund or cancellation of the current year’s property taxes. Application forms may be submitted for the following reasons:       

  • The property is eligible to be reclassified in a different class that has a lower tax ratio;
  • The land has become vacant or excess;
  • The land has become exempt from taxation during the year;
  • A building on the land was razed by fire, demolition or otherwise;
  • The applicant is unable to pay taxes because of sickness or extreme poverty; or
  • A mobile unit on the land was removed.

Request for Reconsideration (RFR) – This application is submitted to the Municipal Property Assessment Corporation (MPAC) to request a review of their property’s assessment. There is no fee for a RFR. Your request may be made anytime up to and including December 31 of the year for which you are requesting a review of your assessment. Further information, including the required forms, can be obtained at

Assessment Review Board Complaints (ARB) – A resident may file a notice of complaint with the ARB. There is a non-refundable filing fee payable to the ARB. For further information on assessment appeals, including forms and filing due dates, can be obtained from the Assessment Review Board.



Powered by CivicWeb CMS - © Copyright 2012 iCompass Technologies Inc.

background image for perth south